The People's Playground coney island mural project
The Alliance for Coney Island is proud to commission a series of storefront gate murals for the 2020 Summer season along the Surf/Stillwell Avenue Amusement District. Home to over 350 businesses and 50,000 residents, Coney Island is a collection of independent businesses and attractions, from high-end restaurants, souvenir shops and amusement rides to smaller mom and pop businesses who are dedicated to serving our diverse community and visitors!
The Alliance for Coney Island’s “The People's Playground” mural project aims to honor the rich and long history of Coney Island as it transitioned from the Dutch’s Island of wild rabbits to it earning its nickname as the “People’s Playground”. A historic and iconic community intrinsic to New York history, Coney Island is the birthplace of the amusement industry, Americana, and innovative scientific discoveries. These include the creation of the roller coaster, the hot dog, and the baby incubator exhibit. With 7 million+ annual visitors coming to enjoy Coney Island’s cultural and sports institutions as well as its iconic landmarks: the Cyclone Roller Coaster at Luna Park, Deno's Wonder Wheel, the Parachute Jump, the Riegelmann Boardwalk and exciting annual events: the Mermaid Parade, Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest and Friday Night Fireworks, the mural project will add to Coney Island’s uniqueness and vibrancy.
THE PEOPLE'S PLAYGROUND CONEY ISLAND STOREFRONT MURAL PROJECT OVERVIEW
- Please review & download the creative brief to see the various inspirational photos and resources to learn more about Coney Island’s rich history.
- Interested artists can submit sketches to be considered for multiple locations, please specify which location you are applying for.
- There are 5 mural locations with honorariums between $700-$1,000 upon completion of the mural.
- The honorarium is a flat rate and includes artist fee & supplies
- The design process will include 1 round of direct feedback. The final mural should include the Alliance for Coney Island logo on the right side of artwork (stencil will be provided) and the inclusion of our #ConeyIslandFun
- Given COVID-19, the painting schedule is TBD. Please be mindful that artists will be responsible for transportation to the mural location site, painting outside of business hours of operation, and communicating and coordinating mural installation schedules with the Alliance for Coney Island team.
For questions about the The People's Playground Mural Project or application please contact Melanie Hirsch at Alliance for Coney Island at Melanie@alllianceforconeyisland.org.
Before completing the Application, please review & download the CREATIVE BRIEF
In your application, you can submit sketches for multiple locations. Please select which location you are applying for.
Please note the application deadline: Tuesday, June 23 11:59pm
Want to share the opportunity with friends or other artists? Please see flyer here.